Sunday, May 22, 2011

Royal Sketches

First off, I moved. So I wanted to show off my lovely new work space! (And yes, I roll around on the hard wood floors with my rolling chair all the time. Good thing no one lives below me!)
This first image is a rough sketch, well two, of King Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves. It's said that he dumped her because he didn't like what she looked like. He saw a painting of her, and thought she looked pretty, but didn't think that the picture depicted her well once he met her.
On the left side is a drawing of Catherine Howard (how she would dress) and the left is Catherine Parr and her outfit. (5th and 6th wives of King Henry VIII)
Left side is Jane Seymour and her dress, and the right is Anne of Cleves. (3rd and 4th wives of King Henry VIII)
On the left is Anne Boylen, and the right is the 2 different caps that women would wear during that time. Anne was said to wear the French cap, while Catherine of Aragon was said to wear the English gable.
Here is an image of Catherine of Aragon, King Henry VIII's 1st wife.
This is a image I did a long time ago, the first idea I had for a portrait of King Henry VIII and Anne Boylen. Now I'm thinking it will be full length, and her head will already be off.
This I did earlier this year, it's Catherine Howard (the 5th wife of Henry the VIII) and a mock up of what the men would wear.
On the left (top) is Elizabeth I, and all her men. She was the Virgin Queen with a lot of proposals.
The left bottom is what I will be doing for Mary I. Her marriage to Prince Philip of Spain was never a happy one, and he left her a lot. In the background will be a open window, showing images of people burning, to symbolize the 300 people she had burned for religious beliefs.
This will be King Edward II. With his four children around him, and his wife with a sword to his neck. It is not known how, or technically when he died. All they know is that after she made it so he abdicated his crown to their son Edward III (only 14 at the time) he was imprisoned and she held a public funeral for him months later. But there is no real documented prof of how he was murdered, so I'm just going with the sword.
This image is hard to see (so feel free to click on it!) but it's Empress Matilda. She will be wearing her white gown, and in the back of her will be her family. Her husband will be the furthest back, flirting with a unknown women. The marriage was never a happy one, and he fathered many children outside of their marriage.

I'm having some difficulty with King George III and Queen Victoria with Prince Albert. I guess because nothing to outlandish really happened in their marriages. They both had a lot of children, and neither had affairs! I want to incorporate the fact the King George had dementia and was the King when the United States broke away from England though. I'm not sure how to do that yet, so I'm still working on it. Victoria and Albert might just have a happy portrait though. What's wrong with a happy royal marriage?

No comments: